Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Beignets - The Cajun Donut

     This morning I was hungry for donuts, so I decided to make beignets.  They are what I like to call the Cajun donut.  I'll admit that they aren't exactly like Cafe Du Monde's in New Orleans.

     I do have a couple of recipes for beignets.  This one was in my moms recipe box, so I thought I'd make these first.  I'll make the other recipe another time.  You can help me decide which one is best!





Mom's Beignets

1 cup flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 cup powdered sugar for coating

Mix first 5 ingredients together and drop by spoonfuls into hot grease.  Batter will be a little thick.  Fry on each side 2-3 minutes.  Drain on paper towels.  Let cool a few minutes.  Put 1 cup powdered sugar in Ziploc bag.  Drop beignets in and shake well to coat.  Makes about 12 beignets.

***You could even make little ones like donut holes- the kids would love them! Putting them in the bag and shaking it up is something they can do to help-just make sure they are cool first.




           Mix all ingredients together except powdered sugar
 
 
 
                                             Fry 2-3 minutes on each side



      Put powdered sugar in Ziploc bag - add beignets and shake
 
 
 
These beignets are a good substitute for the donuts you buy at the bakery.  Especially if you don't want to leave home to pick them up...
 
Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment