Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Old VHS Tapes - A Priceless Gift?

     



     Last year, I was cleaning out closets and came across a bunch of old VHS tapes of my kids.  I wanted to put them on DVDs, but the cost of bringing them somewhere was too much.  I had about 40 tapes! I think the cost was about $25 dollars each...not going to happen!  So, I went online and found a program for $50 called Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe.




     After I received it a few days later, I set it all up. It was really simple to do!  Don't be intimidated.  You do need a VCR or your video recorder.

     Then the stroll down memory lane began!  I documented 30 years of our families life.  There was a lot of laughing and crying involved..... How long did it take, you ask?  About two months! When it was all said and done, we each had about 24 DVDs.  (You can make several copies at a time before moving on to the next tape. You can't go back once you've burned the DVDs, so make as many copies that you need at that time.)

     It's not hard to copy to DVD.   Basically, you just turn on the VHS tape, press record on the Honestech program and let the tape run.  Press stop when finished.  Make copies to DVD.  Done!

     Part of the reason there were so many DVDs is because of all the extracurricular activities the boys were in.  Mostly baseball and band.  Add in all the videos of normal everyday life and you end up with a lot.  Even if you don't have that many, do it anyway!  You would be preserving family history.

    This is my stack.  On the back of the envelope, I wrote the year and what was on it.  For our children, I put their DVDs in a case.



     It was part of our children's Christmas presents last year. I wanted them to have copies so that if anything happened to our house, ( we do live near the Gulf of Mexico - hurricanes!) all would not be lost.  Now, they each have a record of their lives.

     What a priceless gift you can give to your family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment