Thursday, January 29, 2015

Deer Stew WithHomemade Gravy

Recently my husband cleaned out the freezer and found some deer back-strap from last season that needed to be cooked.  I decided to make a deer stew with it.  I usually slice it thin and pan fry it, but I wanted something to bring to the camp ready to go.  I think everyone will enjoy this!

If you'd like to try this recipe, you can substitute beef or pork if you don't have deer meat. I cooked it in a slow cooker for about 6 hours on high.  Easy!





Deer Stew With Gravy

2-3 pounds deer- cut into cubes
3 large potatoes - cut into cubes
2 large carrots - sliced
1 large onion- chopped
2 cups broth - chicken or beef
seasoning to taste

Put all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on high 5-6 hours. Check meat for tenderness.  Make gravy (recipe below) and add to pot.  Let cook until gravy thickens.  About 1 hour on high.  Check seasoning, add more if necessary. Serve over rice.


Homemade Gravy:
2 cups hot water
2 Tablespoons Kitchen Bouquet - see photo below
2 Tablespoons flour

Mix kitchen bouquet and flour into hot water.  Stir until well blended.   Add into slow cooker.  Let thicken.

**I use this gravy in many of my smothered meat recipes.  It works for just about everything! 


Sorry  the picture is sideways! 

Here's a link on amazon if you'd like to buy some for yourself! It comes in large and small sizes. I buy the large because I use it often, but you may like a smaller bottle. 

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Bouquet-Browning-Seasoning-Sauce/dp/B001GHYO5I

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment