Saturday, May 11, 2013

Blackberry Picking

     It's blackberry picking time in Louisiana.  Blackberry bushes are growing wild all over the sides of the highway and in the woods here.  Last year my husband found a wonderful sugarcane field that had the sweetest berries not far from our house.  About a month or too after picking the berries, the owners cut down ALL of the bushes!  So this year we had to find another place to pick.  

A friend of ours has a hunting lease and offered to let us go there.  When I say this was a remote area, I am NOT kidding.  We had to get on a four wheeler and head into the woods for a mile or two in the middle of nowhere.... with snakes and other wildlife to keep us company! 




We picked berries for about 3 hours in the heat of the day, but we were rewarded for our efforts.

There is one drawback to picking berries in the wild.  Did I mention that I am allergic to poison ivy?  I know I should have worn long sleeves, but it was HOT!  After using lots of calamine lotion for the last couple of weeks, I think I am finally getting rid of it...

We ended up freezing about 11 gallons of blackberries.  I take them out a gallon or two at a time when I'm ready to make jelly or tarts.  Time to stock up on sugar, fruit pectin, and mason jars! (I'll be sharing those recipes as I make them.)

There's nothing like fresh berries in a bowl with sugar for dessert, or freshly made jelly on toast with butter!






No comments:

Post a Comment