Friday, June 28, 2013

Red Beans and Smoked Sausage


     For years, I couldn't cook dried beans because they always came out too hard.  I tried soaking them overnight and cooking them the next day like I was told.  Didn't work for me. Then a couple of years ago, a friend of mine told me how she cooks hers.  It sounded so easy, so I tried it.  Finally, I could make red beans and sausage!


1 lb. dried red kidney beans
1/2 large onion - chopped
1/2 cup onion tops - chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
Tony Chachere's or other seasoning to taste-salt, pepper, cayenne, Tabasco, etc.
1 lb. of smoked sausage - sliced

In large pot, fill approx. 1/2 half with water.  Add dried beans, onion, tops, garlic and seasoning.  Bring to boil, cook for 10-15 minutes.  Reduce heat to medium - low and let cook. In separate pan, saute sausage until browned.  Add to beans and cook for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.  Add water as needed - don't let beans dry out.  Adjust seasoning as needed. Serve over cooked rice.


This same recipe works for pintos and white northern beans also. You could substitute ham for the sausage.  That is delicious too!

No comments:

Post a Comment